Everyday Super Woman Spotlight: Sherry Jones

Earlier this year, I sat down with my friend and coworker Sherry Jones and conducted the interview you are about to read in a few moments. I met Sherry at work, and the more I got to know her, the more I thought... I need to convince her let me do a superwoman spotlight on her! She was on board right away.  As I mentioned, we started this earlier this year, but the process took much longer than normal. She met a couple of HUGE milestones during this process and I am glad we waited to release this interview. She is a phenomenal woman on a ton of levels. But most importantly (to me) she is a good person. She is extremely positive and uplifting. As usual, I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Without any further ado, hhheerrreee’s Sherry!

What would be your Real Housewives Tagline be?
The power of life and death is in the tongue, and I chose to speak life!

Who are you?


I am a lot of things to a lot of people, but the core of who I am is a woman of God. That is the foundation everything else stands on. I am by no means perfect. I fall short, but the goal is always the same, to live a life pleasing to God.

Creatively, I am a writer and speaker. When I write and share a message with an audience I am in a place of happiness and love. I enjoy connecting with other people and encouraging them through the journey called life. It has not always been easy for me and I hope by sharing my testimony I can help someone.

What is your success formula?
I try to start everything with the right intention. I look at what I want to achieve and why. If the outcome of this initial examination is that I am doing it for the wrong reason, then it is not something I pursue. If this outcome is positive I prioritize all that needs to be done to ensure I am working in a proper order - I set my goals and work towards accomplishing said goals.

I find it extremely important to be consistent. If you set a goal it is important to keep your word to yourself. Work at it on a consistent basis, whether that is daily or weekly. Actually being consistent has been a weakness of mine. I like to think I have overcome this obstacle. At the very least with my Sherry Speaks Life FaceBook page by setting a scheduled time to go live on Wednesday nights at 9:00 pm. I have only missed this a few times due to unforeseen circumstances.

Consistency has paid off! I recently celebrated posting my 100th video, as well as my one year anniversary of Sherry Speaks Life. Some doubted I would keep it up, and truthfully there were times when I thought the same. But I did and I still do!

Surprise Everyone
People would probably be surprised to find out I am not as confident as I appear.  I push myself to be more confident in my talent and sharing my talent. I suffered from low self-esteem when I was younger. Now I am more comfortable in my skin, but it is a constant battle. Sometimes that doubt rears its ugly head. People do not think I get nervous when I speak, but I do! They think I am really out going. In some ways I am, as I have never met a stranger. However, it was a journey to get to where I am now, and the journey continues. Being nervous reflects that I care about the message and its impact on the audience. I believe that if I stop being nervous - well at that point it has become all about me. So I welcome the nerves. I have learned how to control my nerves and this affords me the luxury of delivering a great message.

Give us a little nonsense
Pettiness, people are saying it a lot nowadays. The truth is people can be petty, me included. However, there much bigger issues to address. Some of the things I hear (as I am sure we all do) include “they looked at me funny” and “what are they wearing”. I think, why not go to that person and open up a dialog instead of speaking with me. I think we all need to be more positive. We all need to be more uplifting of each other. We all need to stop judging people based on appearances. I have coined the phrase, “Don’t judge a book by its cover, read a few pages before making a decision.”

What would be your dream job?
I would love to be a full time writer and speaker. I enjoy sharing my thoughts with an audience and writing books, poems and plays, I would love to make a living doing these things.  The constraints of working specific hours in a specific location would disappear. I could travel to anywhere at any time and work from wherever I land.

Recently my first novel, Trouble Don’t Last Always, was released for purchase on Amazon (find the novel here). I am so excited about this project. I worked on it for a long time prior to the official release. I battled fear and procrastination to achieve this goal and it was absolutely worth it! The main character is a single mom of a 4 year old who considers herself to be a good Christian until she makes a decision that contradicts everything she thought she believed. Her journey to self-discovery has a lot of twist and turns guaranteed to keep you entertained.


Departing Words
My motto is the power of life and death is in the tongue, and I choose to speak life. I truly believe speaking life is a choice we have to make daily. When we wake in the morning, we choose how we are going to conduct ourselves that day. We DO NOT have a choice in what happens to us, but we DO have a choice in how we react. Look at life’s tests and trails in a positive way and find the lessons to be learned in the tests and trials. Often, people focus on being nice to others and speaking well to others. I think the most important thing is being nice to me. Love and speak positivity to yourself!

Follow Me

A few MORE words from Canita

Now that you have read the interview, I am adding a little something. I read Trouble Don’t Last Always in no time. It’s one of those books you find hard to put down. Furthermore, I have recommended it several times over to friends and even strangers. I am recommending it to everyone reading this post. This book is wonderfully written and very very very entertaining.  If you are like me you will find yourself shaking your head and talking out loud.  If you have ever read my Yelp reviews you may know that I apply the same format to each review I post. They all end the same way. I answer the questions, would I go back and would I recommend it to others.  Applying this to my thoughts on the book, yes and yes!

Comments